Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 35:30 — 32.5MB)
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Android | RSS | More
Characteristics of Successful Parents
Parenting is the toughest job out there. It triggers more emotional reactions than we could ever imagine before walking out the journey of parenting. Each phase of the child’s development triggers different responses from us, but the underlying theme is powerlessness. Am I doing this right? Am I messing up my child with my dysfunction? How can I parent well in the midst of a busy schedule? All these questions are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to parenting while feeling powerless. In the first of a two-part podcast, Sharon Wegman, LPC, and Cait Beiler discuss ten characteristics of successful parents from a counseling point of view.
Included in their discussion are the following 10 Characteristics of Successful Parents;
- Confident in parenting without being severe or authoritarian as the means of asserting their authority.
- Clear and consistent with expectations.
- Treat their children with respect despite how angry and frustrated they are feeling.
- Remain verbally and physically affectionate throughout the teen years.
- Are emotionally accessible to their children.
- Good sense of humor and can laugh at themselves.
- Never punish unfairly and never demean their children by treating them as inferiors.
- Stand their ground on points that matter.
- Seek help from others when they don’t know what to do.
- Seek God for answers, wisdom, and strength for their parenting problems.